How To Wear Booties With Jeans
Table of Contents
You’re probably familiar with some well-known power couples. There’s Beyonce and Jay Z, peanut butter and jelly, and gin and tonic. In regards to fashion, there are hundreds of delightful duos.
But, if we were to crown the most popular pair, we’d award boots with jeans as the ultimate combo. There’s a reason why they’re considered the go-to styling choice for many trendsetters, as it’s an easy way to elevate an outfit.
Take it from Flo Rida himself, “Shawty had them apple bottom jeans, boots with the fur, the whole club was lookin’ at her.”
Naturally, there are various ways to approach the booties with jeans styling technique. You can opt for a simple pair of cigarette pants or a set of wide-legged denim.
For boots, some trendsetters prefer Doc Martens, while others go for Chelsea boots. Considering that there are dozens of outfit ideas out there, how can we ever get dressed for the day?
Keep your stress levels to a minimum, as we’ve provided a helpful guide for fashionistas. Here, we’ll show you how to wear booties with jeans using 10 outfit ideas. After reading this article, you’ll hopefully understand:
- How to wear booties with skinny jeans
- The kinds of jeans that pair well with boots
- A variety of unique jeans with booties OOTD ideas
When To Wear Booties With Jeans
Despite what Flo Rida says, jeans and boots aren’t exclusively clubwear. You’re free to sport them casually, whether at a hangout, a laid-back date, or running grocery errands.
Depending on how you style them, they can be worn as an everyday OOTD or a fashion week moment. Don’t worry; we’ll be sure to provide examples for each in the coming segments.
Jeans and boots can never be worn formally. Weddings, funerals, anniversaries, and Met Gala-type of events usually call for dresses, suits, and tuxedos.
With that being said, you can probably get away with birthdays, networking events, or neighborhood barbeques—and it’s always a good idea to consult the party planner to mitigate any embarrassment.
Season-wise, booties and jeans are often worn during the winter, fall, and early spring. They offer full coverage, which doesn’t bode well with hot summer days.
If you’re looking to layer up, we suggest wearing a pair of fleece-lined tights underneath and double-layer socks. It’s also worth noting that denim varies in thickness, as you can easily find a sturdy set before the temperatures start to drop.
How To Wear Booties With Jeans
So, you want to know how to wear booties with jeans. News flash: it requires no extensive fashion knowledge or background in styling.
If anything, you’ll need a decent level of creativity and confidence to pull the look off.
There are hundreds of outfit ideas out there, ranging from Shania Twain cowgirl chic to grunge-girl goddess. Interested in one of the two? If so, then boy, do we have a list for you.
We rustled together 10 outfit ideas for trendsetters to try. After this segment, we’ll also share some styling tips, shopping pointers, and fashion no-no’s to help you stay on the right course. Let’s get started!
10 Outfit Ideas For Booties With Jeans
The distressed hem of the pants does wonders in accentuating the subtle details of the shoes.
Plus, it provides the illusion of longer legs, thanks to the cropped length. The cheetah print turtleneck and the black leather jacket is the perfect marriage between modern city girl and vintage grunge.
If you’re wondering how to wear booties with straight-leg jeans, we suggest taking a page out of this book.
While it’s intrinsic to alternative fashion, platform stompers can help provide an edgy touch to any feminine outfit.
For example, this ‘how to wear booties with jeans’ contender features an oversized cream blazer, a black turtleneck, and a pair of white boots.
You can easily opt for a pair of nude Louboutins for a classy look, but it leans towards office girl chic rather than ‘alternative Parisian.’
We recommend topping the ensemble off with a claw clip, a Chanel bag, and a pair of sunglasses.
I’m sure that all of us have that ‘Old Town Road’ or ‘Shania Twain’ gene, which is why we thought it necessary to include this cowgirl number in our ‘how to wear booties with jeans’ lineup.
Composed of an oversized white cable-knit and cigarette-style pants, the outfit creates a perfect base for the vintage cowboy boots to shine through.
The cream accents and the stitching details on the shoes provide a touch of old-school finesse. If this outfit doesn’t put you in an ‘I feel like a woman’ mood, then nothing will.
Flower power is back in season, and there’s no better way to celebrate the hippie scene than a pair of wide-legged denim.
For those unsure of how to wear ankle booties with jeans, this blast-from-the-past outfit pays homage to traditional, old-school styles. It comes with a multicolor turtleneck, a suede jacket, and a pair of espresso-stained kicks to keep things subdued.
Of course, this look isn’t complete with a Farrah Fawcett-type blowout.
This intimidating outfit comes with a pair of light-washed denim, a simple white tee, a black trench coat, and a set of chunky stompers.
Subtle but mysterious, it’s the kind of ensemble that John Bender would wear in 2022. For those who covet the ‘no B.S’ attitude, this is how to wear boots with jeans.
The Canadian tuxedo look can easily look fashionable when paired with white boots, a black button-up shirt, and a brown leather jacket on top.
It’s a modern take on 70s garb, as the outfit is slightly reminiscent of John Travolta during his singing career.
Considered a great way to tackle the ‘how to wear ankle boots with jeans’ query, you may never go back to the ol’ white tee and Levis combo ever again. For accessories, we suggest a set of stacked silver rings.
It’s a simple way to look stylish without the added effort, as it requires some basic color coordination.
For example, this outfit features a blend of creams and whites, which are shown through the cardigan, shirt, and jeans.
The black boots help to edge out the ensemble. If you were to opt for alabaster shoes, you’re in danger of looking too pale.
Usually, most dressers opt for a pair of skinny jeans to help in tucking, but the ruched accents of the cigarette pants add some visual texture.
We suggest pairing your western-style Ariats with light wash denim, a chunky belt, and a vintage graphic tee.
It’s considered the perfect blend between boho California and the Rockies. If anything, this ‘how to wear jeans with booties’ contender gives off the impression that you thrift on the weekends and own a 1970s yellow Range Rover.
Featuring a pair of high-waisted jeans, black booties, a matching denim jacket, and a checkered shirt, it’s a stylish OOTD for any city-bound trendsetter.
If you really want to flex your fashion prowess, we recommend topping the look off with a Balenciaga baseball cap and a Louis Vuitton bag.
Considered a unique way to answer the ‘how to wear booties with jeans’ question, this outfit comes with two-toned denim, a black belt, a white ruffled blouse, and a sleek turtleneck underneath.
Since the look is relatively loud, we suggest swapping your necklace with a pair of sterling silver hoops instead.
What Type Of Booties Can You Get?
Outfit coordination involves a lot of questions: What accessories work best? What colors should I opt for? How to wear booties with skinny jeans? Before tackling all three queries, it’s best to divide and conquer.
In this case, we suggest assessing the types of boots that are popular this season. We’ll keep things straightforward by offering a helpful list of trendy styles for readers to consider.
- Ankle boots: If you prefer cropped denim, we suggest swapping your knee-highs with ankle boots instead. Not only does it reduce bunching, but it offers the illusion of longer legs.
- Knee-high boots: In the mood for something more sultry? If so, you can’t go wrong with a classic pair of knee-high kicks. There are dozens of varieties to choose from, such as those made of suede, leather, or exotic animal skins.
- Sock boots: Popularized by Balenciaga, sock boots offer the illusion of tallness by keeping things slim and sleek.
- Thigh-high boots: Considered a favorite of Ariana Grande, thigh-highs are reserved if you want to exude ‘boss babe’ energy. They’re usually designed with a sharp stiletto heel.
- Chunky platforms: Intrinsic to alternative fashion, Doc Martens and Demonias offer a touch of old-school grunge to any outfit.
- Cowboy boots: If you covet the ‘Old Town Road’ scene, we suggest donning a pair of Western shoes for the day. Designs differ by the hundreds, as you can opt for paisley print, suede, or genuine leather.
How To Choose The Best Booties And Jeans That Match
Boots and jeans are the king and queen of wardrobe basics. For most, they’re the go-to combo, as they offer the least hassle compared to any garment.
Because of its practicality and simplicity, fast-fashion retailers like to skimp on quality by providing cheap knock-offs.
I know, it’s rather tempting to cop a pair of light wash denim for only $20, but trust me—they aren’t going to last for very long.
This also bodes for boots as well, as poorly made kicks can often lead to broken soles and holes. If you hate disposable fashion, we suggest assessing clothing based on 4 separate criteria: price, quality, material, and fit.
High-quality jeans usually feature a blend of cotton and elastane. They should offer a commendable degree of stretch and resilience.
It’s important to never opt for the two extremes, as super flexible pants are often thin in construction while stiff denim is more susceptible to ripping.
In terms of boots, you should look out for designs made out of leather, suede, felt, fur, and other sturdy materials. They shouldn’t feel stiff to walk in, but it’s worth noting that some shoes, like Doc Martens, require a break-in period to ensure a uniform fit.
With that in mind, does quality equate to high prices? Not necessarily. You don’t have to buy designer products to ensure durability and longevity.
In terms of estimated costs, we suggest a ballpark of around $60 to $100 for a decent pair of jeans and boots. Again, this depends on the brand and the materials used.
How To Style Booties With Jeans
So, have you figured out how to wear booties with jeans? It doesn’t take an expert to wear a normal pair of Levis with Ariats, but it does take a visionary to create a unique outfit.
If you want to stand out amongst the crowd, here are some ways to style booties with jeans.
- Consider the cut and style of your boots and jeans: Some designs, such as cigarette pants, only go well with a certain selection of boots. Basically, you don’t want to wear thigh-high kicks on top of wide-legged jeans
- Add a belt: If you’re keen on wearing black booties, we suggest adding a matching belt to help tie the whole look together. No pun intended
- Learn the art of the French tuck: As Tan France once said, any outfit can be improved upon with a simple front tuck. This applies to sweaters, t-shirts, and blouses
- Experiment with baggy silhouettes: Of course, you don’t have to opt for the good ol’ French tuck. Oversized clothing is all the rage this season, so we suggest playing around with different shapes and fits
- Leather accents: Most boots are made out of leather, so it’s only natural to top off your look with a motorcycle jacket or a pair of Melina pants from Aritzia
Fashion Tips To Avoid With Booties With Jeans
Let’s assume you know how to wear booties with jeans. You feel super confident in your look, and in some cases—it warrants an Instagram post.
Don’t get me wrong; I’m all for wearing what you want, but some outfits just don’t work. From funky socks to super distressed denim, we’ll share some fashion tips to avoid with booties and jeans.
- Socks that peek over the edge of your boots: We highly suggest wearing a pair of invisible socks when wearing Doc Martens. Trust me, there’s nothing tackier than showing off patterned prints under a set of clean, sleek booties
- Highly distressed jeans: If you can see 90% of your leg, chances are that the jeans are wearing you and not the other way around. Plus, it provides a strange illusion when paired with thigh-high boots
- Mismatched jeans with mismatched boots: We covered this in an earlier segment, but it’s important to find pants that pair well with shoes. For instance, you don’t want to wear culottes with ankle booties
- Jeggings: They were ugly then and are still ugly now. Don’t kid yourself. You can either wear leggings or jeans, not both
- Anklets: You should never wear anklets under socks or over boots. It’s a strange look to fashion. In addition, you’re more at risk of losing it
How To Take Care Of Booties
Once you’ve figured out how to wear booties with jeans, it’s time to initiate some basic care and maintenance. There’s a good chance that you splurged to ensure the best quality.
Naturally, you’ll want to keep wearing your expensive Doc Martens for years to come. For those unkeen of visiting a professional cleaner, here are some ways to take care of boots at home.
- Remove surface-level debris with a brush or a microfiber cloth.
- Use a mixture of warm water and a bit of soap to remove stains.
- Buy gentle solvents to help eliminate salt stains and other stubborn spots.
- Rub conditioner on leather boots.
- Use a foot shaper or newspaper to maintain the structure of your shoes.
Best Places To Buy Booties And Jeans
Consider yourself briefed on the ‘how to wear booties with jeans’ debate. If inspiration has struck, use it as a sign to conduct a shopping trip. If you’re in need of recommendations, we’ll spotlight a few stores to consider:
- Doc Martens
In the onslaught of fast-fashion trends, it’s refreshing to see that boots and jeans won’t fall out of popularity anytime soon. It’s a classic combo that keeps things practical and stylish.
Considered the go-to casual look, boots and jeans are relatively easy to dress up if you’re feeling extra.
In the mood for something spicy? Crocodile knee-highs are a must. How about something more retro-inspired? In that case, we recommend a pair of wide-legged Levis from the ’70s. The list goes on and on.
Our top 10 list is anything but boring, as we provided some unique fits to consider.
Hopefully, you’re one step closer to figuring out how to wear booties with jeans. From vintage-themed ensembles to modern-girl chic, we’re here to remind you that fashion is fun.
Have any other burning fashion questions on your mind? We’ve got you covered: