How To Wear Converse
Table of Contents
Converses have a chokehold on music, alternative fashion, and anyone who grew up in the early 2000s.
Considered the streetwear shoe that influenced the “I’m not like other girls” culture, these lace-up kicks easily surpass the Adidas Air Force Ones and Vans.
When I was a kid, I was obsessed with my yellow Chuck Taylors—given that my style icons were Avril Lavigne and Disney Demi Lovato.
The shared, cultural love for Converses has never died down. They’ve continued to be a closet staple for any trendsetter. It’s the easiest way to dress down an outfit.
Plus, Chuck Taylors provide that rebellious, teenage touch that everyone’s nostalgic for. With that in mind, you’re probably wondering how to wear Converse.
If you’re new to the shoe game, we’ll teach you how to wear Converse using 10 outfit ideas. By the end of this article, you’ll hopefully understand:
- How to wear high top converse
- How to wear low top converse guys
- Some iconic platform converse outfits
- How to wear converse with shorts
- Some trendy converse designs
What Is Converse?
Before we delve into this “how to wear Converse” guide, it’s best to address that garment in question. In short, it’s a type of streetwear shoe.
Characterized with a white platform, a toe-tip, a lace-up front, and the iconic star logo on the side, these kicks are synonymous with urban fashion and skater culture. It comes in a variety of cuts and colors, including high-tops, low-tops, and platforms.
History Of Converse
Contrary to popular belief, Converses debuted in the bleak year of 1917. I know, it might come as a shock to the Avril Lavigne, My Chemical Romance crowd. Despite its attribution with alternative fashion, these lace-up kicks were designed as basketball shoes.
They were made by the Converse Rubber Factory, with Mr. Marquis Mills Converse acting as chief director. Thanks to months of product development and testing, they were able to create a design for athletes to wear.
This was the first-ever debut of the All-Star Converse shoe.
The first-ever design isn’t the classic white and black shoe we know and love today. Instead, it was built with brown-dyed canvas with black trim. Converses were later synonymous with Chuck Taylor, a basketball player for the Akron Firestones.
He would continuously recommend these kicks in sports clinics and stores. Because of his successful marketing gimmicks, Converses added the iconic Chuck Taylor logo on the shoe.
When To Wear Converse
It’s time to converse about Converses. Due to its attribution to streetwear fashion and urban culture, I think it’s safe to say that they’re designed to be styled casually.
It’s an excellent shoe to wear for laidback hangouts, daily errands, and other non-formal occasions.
In terms of seasons, Converses are typically worn during the spring, summer, and fall. Of course, some veteran trendsetters try to brave snowstorms in canvas shoes, but hey—to each their own, right?
If you’re asking questions such as “how to wear high top converse with skinny jeans,” you probably know that they’re not supposed to be worn formally.
Weddings, funerals, and black-tie events will usually frown at the idea of wearing streetwear shoes.
With that being said, occasions such as prom and homecoming are more lenient when it comes to fashioning Converses.
How To Wear Converse
We’ve addressed the ‘when’ question. Now it’s time to discuss the ‘how’s. From the classic jeans and tee combo to skater-girl dresses, we’ll show you how to wear Converse using 10 outfit ideas.
Don’t worry; we’ve got OOTDs for all genders to enjoy. Let’s get started!
5 Outfit Ideas With Converse For Men
Instead of the usual skater-boi ensemble, this outfit features a pair of black pants, a cream sweater, a white button-up, and a green jacket over top.
It definitely harbors that pretentious $7 coffee kind of look, but we can’t deny how stylish this OOTD is. You can easily swap the Converses for Oxfords for a more dressed-up alternative, but we suggest sticking to Chuck Taylors to keep things practical.
It’s further accentuated with a crossbody bag, which helps in adding that skater-chic vibe.
There’s no guarantee that this outfit will win you some Pams (or Karens), but it’s definitely an OOTD to consider if you’re looking to blend streetwear with Dunder Mifflin formality.
The playful nature of overalls pairs well with Converses. For those tired of the typical jeans and white tee combo, it’s time to get your Bob the Builder on by donning this ensemble. It features a pair of khaki dungarees matched with a blue tie-dye sweatshirt.
Accentuated with socks and a set of classic black Chuck Taylors, it’s a fashionable look that warrants an Instagram post.
For those searching for unique outfits with Converse, this is definitely an OOTD worth considering.
In our opinion, this OOTD is all about layering, as it features a plaid blazer, a white button-up, a pair of light wash jeans, and coral-colored socks.
The cream Chuck Taylors help in brightening up the look. Plus, it pairs well with the white stripes offered in the jacket. Complimented with a black fanny pack, it’s an outfit that deserves a *chef’s kiss*.
Creams go with everything, such as pastel green and faded red. Take, for instance, this outfit, which features a pair of pleated trousers with a striped shirt.
Light, refreshing, and summer-appropriate, this look imbues a sort of ‘Archie Andrews’ retro vibe due to the silhouette and muted hues. If it’s starting to get cold, we recommend topping this ‘how to wear converse’ contender with a matching white zip-up.
5 Outfit Ideas With Converse For Women
Outfitted with a white racerback crop top, bright yellow pants, and cream Chuck Taylors, it’s a ’90s inspired look that’ll definitely turn some heads.
For accessories, you can never go wrong with a simple Cuban chain necklace and a pair of sunnies. This, ladies and gents, is how to wear Converse high tops.
Don’t get me wrong; it’s a solid look to consider, but it requires a bit of tweaking if you want to stand out amongst the crowd. Instead, we suggest leveling up with this outfit.
Composed of high-waisted shorts, a graphic tee, and a well-fitted blazer, it harbors the right amount of class for coffee runs and crunching.
For additional styling, we suggest topping this “how to wear Converse’ OOTD with a crossbody bag and a pair of oversized sunnies.
As Demi Lovato so elegantly puts it: “who said I can’t wear my Converse with my dress?” Prom gowns paired with Chuck Taylors isn’t a new look, but it’s definitely an ensemble that requires a dramatic upgrade.
Considered a grown-up version from old-school teenage rebellion, this ensemble showcases a monochrome set composed of a blazer, a long jersey-knit dress, and black Converses.
I don’t know about you, but this screams fashion editor rather than Disney sitcom princess to me. For those in search of a dress with converse outfit ideas, we suggest donning this stylish OOTD.
Paired with pleated beige trousers and black Chuck Taylors, this “how to wear Converse” contender is an excellent OOTD to consider for the summer months.
Breathable, elegant, and simplistic in silhouette, I’d imagine this outfit worn on second dates, picking up fresh flowers at the local florist, or hitting up vintage bookstores on the other side of town.
For those wondering how to wear high top converse girl’s edition, this is the outfit to opt for.
Composed of a houndstooth midi skirt, a black turtleneck, and a gold chain handbag, it’s a super elegant look for fall temperatures.
This ensemble requires no additional accessorizing, as we feel that the skirt’s design speaks for itself. Composed, sophisticated, and casual enough for everyday use, this is how to wear Converse appropriately.
What Type Of Converse Can You Get?
If you consider yourself a Converse connoisseur, chances are that you’re well familiar with the types available. If not, no worries; we’ll discuss some common styles to consider.
It’s worth noting that their website is home to dozens of unique cuts and colors. For the purposes of this “how to wear Converse” guide, we’ll only include their most iconic designs.
- High-tops: Considered a go-to for various converse outfits, these Chuck Taylors come with a high ankle cut.
- Low-tops: Can’t be bothered to lace-up time after time? You can save yourself the hassle by opting for low-tops instead. They show a majority of your ankle. Plus, they’re relatively easy to slip on and off.
- Platforms: I don’t know about you, but I can always use a boost. If you want to provide the illusion of height, we suggest opting for platform Converses. They’re relatively chunky in silhouette, which is usually more comfortable compared to other Chuck Taylor designs.
- The standard black and white: You can never go wrong with neutral shades. Designed to be compatible with numerous outfits, this classic set is considered a wardrobe basic.
- Crazy colors and patterns: If you’re wondering how to style converse high tops, there’s nothing wrong with wanting a pop of color. Some popular choices include red, yellow, green, and animal print.
What Designers Have Converse Collaborated With?
Like the Coco Chanel tweed suit and the Hermes Birkin bag, Converses play an important role in fashion history. Naturally, hundreds of designers have teamed up with the brand to make use of their iconic style.
This includes luxury labels such as Comme des Garçons, Missoni, and Maison Margiela. They’ve also teamed up with other pop culture companies, including Nintendo and The Simpsons.
How To Choose The Best Converse
Converse has been in business since 1917, so you can rest assured knowing that they’re a highly reputable brand. Over the years, they’ve maintained the level of quality and construction needed for streetwear shoes.
With hundreds of designs offered on their website, it’s relatively easy to feel overwhelmed with the number of options. So, how does one exactly choose the best pair of Converses?
Responsible shoppers assess shoes based on 5 criteria: price, quality, material, design, and fit. Chuck Taylors are typically made out of cotton canvas, leather, suede, and synthetic rubber.
They’re relatively durable and flexible under stress, so you don’t have to worry about copping a new pair every year.
It’s worth noting that Converses aren’t the most comfortable shoe on the market, but they definitely outperform compared to slides and sandals.
All-Stars are usually form-fitting in silhouette, so it’s important to find a shoe that’s exactly your size to mitigate bruises and blisters.
Design is a crucial point to consider. After all, shoes are designed to be worn continuously. Converses come in an array of different colors, patterns, and silhouettes. For the casual dresser, opting for neutral shades is probably best to guarantee continued use.
Those who are a bit adventurous in terms of fashion may covet bright colors and prints instead. The design also applies to the cut and shape of the shoe itself. This includes platforms, no lace-up styles, and the extreme knee-high version.
In terms of cost, you can expect to pay around $30 to $140 for a pair of Converses. Obviously, those that belong in limited edition collections are offered at a higher price tag.
How To Style Converse
I think it’s safe to say that we shared some outfit basics in our ‘how to wear Converse’ guide. It doesn’t take a visionary to fashion Chuck Taylors, but given that it’s branded a closet staple, it does require some creativity if you’re looking to stand out.
If you consider yourself a trendsetter, here are some ways to jazz up your All-Stars.
- Cuffing your jeans: If you prefer high-tops, we recommend cuffing your jeans to help show off their ankle-cut glory. Plus, this styling tip does wonders in providing the illusion of height.
- Wear funky socks: Converses embody a playful attitude. With that in mind, it’s only natural to follow the same aesthetic with the rest of your outfit. You can easily achieve this by donning a set of colorful socks.
- Tuck the laces beneath the tongue: Most of the high top converse outfits we’ve featured are free of bows and knots. If you want to copy the same clean design, we suggest tucking the laces away for a seamless look.
- Juxtaposing with formal wear: Just to be clear, this doesn’t apply to evening gowns. Instead, we’re referring to the classic blazer and trouser combo. Trust me, it’s the easiest way to dress down a black-tie ensemble.
Fashion Tips To Avoid With Converse
Consider yourself versed in the “how to wear Converse” convo. Throughout this guide, we showed you the highlights associated with a pair of Chuck Taylors.
With that being said, we don’t want to give off the impression that Converses are the end-all-be-all of streetwear shoes.
There are hundreds of styling no-nos to take note of, and trust me, you’ll want to stay for this segment to ensure no regrettable Instagram pics.
- The Disney-esque prom dress: sitcoms have deemed prom dresses and Converses as the next big fashion trend. Don’t get me wrong; it’s an iconic look for homecoming, but it screams ‘pick me girl’ instead of ‘I’m truly fun and quirky.’
- Knee-high Converses: we covered this in a past segment, but knee-high Converses are the death of fashion. You might as well swap them for lace-up boots instead.
- Tutu skirts: Considered another fashion sin committed by Disney, Ballerina skirts and Converses are the antithesis of cohesive style. There’s just too much going on.
- Anklets and toe-rings: if you want to make the most out of your Converses, it’s best to wear a pair of funky socks instead of foot jewelry.
- The Sharpie doodle: Trust me, that heart you drew in high school is bound to bleed in the years to come. Permanent ink doesn’t age well when it comes to canvas shoes.
How To Take Care Of Converse
Congrats! You finally bought yourself a pair of Converses. The worn-out look is definitely on-trend, but don’t take it as an excuse to stomp on mud and dirt.
For those who intend on wearing their Chuck Taylors until the end of time, here are some ways to maintain your All-Stars at home.
- Eliminate dirt by using a bristle brush or a microfiber cloth. You can also use a toothbrush to help get rid of certain stains.
- Use a solution of warm water and a bit of soap to help diminish blemishes.
- Take off the laces and soak them in a bleach bath. We suggest diluting the solution with a bit of water.
- Let the Converses air-dry naturally.
- Stuff them with newspaper or use a shoe shaper to help maintain its silhouette.
Best Places To Buy Converse
Looking to cop a pair of Converses? If so, we’ll share some recommendations for shoppers to consider.
- Foot Locker
- Urban Outfitters
I don’t see myself retiring my Converses anytime soon. There’s a reason why they’ve been considered a wardrobe staple since 1917, and it’s partially due to their chokehold on teenage culture.
Synonymous with alternative fashion and music, I think it’s safe to say that everyone has a bit of rebellious, high school spirit left over.
Despite its multiple collaborations with luxury designers, Converses will remain the shoe of the people. Casual, understated, and important to pop culture, Chuck Taylors will forever be our go-to shoe.
Got any other fashion questions on your mind? We’ve got you covered: